According to information published by the US Census, Millennials, or Americans born between 1982 and 2000 represent approximately one-quarter of the nation’s population. This means that finding ways to market to them is vital for companies of all sizes and types. While every organization will have unique needs and desires, we have put together a few tips that can benefit your firm as you continue to grow and attempt to reach this influential group.
• Content Marketing – Reaching customers through content marketing is easy. You can utilize blogs, websites, and eBooks to create inbound material that draws customers in—rather than advertising directly to them. This is what the millennial generation knows and expects.
• Be Authentic – While content marketing is a successful type of marketing, it only works when it is authentic. These customers expect you to be you. Don’t be afraid to show customers exactly who you are as a company—and as a real person. Be yourself. It allows you to connect with this generation on a deeper level.
• Use Social Media – While nearly everyone today is on social media, the millennial generation is the group that grew up on it and is the group that spends the most time on it. Advertising, marketing and connecting on social media allows you a new form of flexibility that you didn’t have in the past.
• Use Video, Pictures and Everything Else – Snapchat, YouTube, Instagram, Vine and other programs may not seem like marketing tools, but they can be. These are tools that the Millennial generation uses every day. Get on these platforms. This is where your audience is and where they are comfortable. Don’t be afraid to explore these zones.
• Speak the Language – You don’t have to speak in “text speak,” or use slang, but don’t be afraid to be a bit more informal in your marketing message. Additionally, remember that emoticons are part of today’s mobile language. Speak the Millennial language if you want to be taken seriously.
As you can see, there are many different ways to reach Millennials. By connecting with this group you will have a good start with marketing to the entire population—and helping your firm grow and expand.